….and more brake updates!

So despite the last refresh of new pads and rotors, I was plagued with brake issues again at Castle Combe. Potentially pad deposits – but potentially the rotor and bell expanding at different rates too.

So the hopeful cure this time is brand new Brembo calipers from Renault, new floating bells – and with the change of rotors, pads and fluid last time, that’s basically an entierly new braking system now. So if it’s still a problem…then I’ll be buggered if I know what to try next? Maybe metallic based compound pads just in case it was/is deposits.

Whilst having the MOT completed at the same time as the brakes, both drop links were found to be knackered and the source of some clunking I’ve been experiencing, so with those replaced it’s time to hit the track again (thanks to Regal Autosport in Southampton for sorting the car out).

Currently I have Silverstone booked for both the Nov 12th and Dec 5th, and potentially I’m thinking of trying Goodwood on the 27th this month, although I’m not convinced by the sessions based format :\

I went black bells this time on the brakes, so that the floating hardware would stand out more. I miss the old Gold bells as I did like that look, but overall I think this looks better – certainly more purposeful.
(Excuse the filthy wheels – not been washed since Combe!)

Castle Combe Track Day [6-07-20]

First track day since the [questionable science] UK lockdown restrictions, and the car was almost perfect. Engine, chassis, pretty much all that faultless – but brakes…again a let down! As soon as you really pushed the car and leant on the brakes properly it just shuddered and vibrated far too much, upset the ABS in a couple of places and certainly upset the chassis on braking – no confidence to trail brake the car this time around and so wasn’t able to lap as fast as I’ve done before.

That said, engine was mega, preferred it over the last forged single TB engine when I was last at Combe. Certainly thrives on revs more and doesn’t feel any slower at all.
I didn’t have the AiM data logger in the car on the last engine so I don’t know what top speeds I was hitting, but from eyeballing the speedo it was about the same. I think if the brakes had been sorted I would have been lapping quicker – but alas, no timing on track days and so it’s just something I checked when I got back in to the paddock (I mean there’s a data logger in the car so why not have a look right 😉 !

Few pics, found a Renault friend, and some hot looking brakes. I’ll have some updates on brakes soon.

Tyres, Brakes, Wheels Studs & Swivels! [Fitted]

New Michellin Cup Sport 2 tyres (215/45/17) fitted to the OEM 200 wheels, and thanks to Ktec for fitting the brakes (as per last post) and also replacing the lower swivel bearings too. Also supplying and fitting a set of their wheel studs, which I elected for due to thinking it would be good to replace the original 11 year old wheel bolts – but I was not expecting them to look so much better with a much more purposeful look to them.
The car’s now stopping and steering better than it ever has, and the DS1.11 give a very pleasing squeal that only track focused pads really give off!
It’s ready for a track day at Combe in a couple of weeks (6th July). – Hopefully it’ll go a darn sight better than the last Combe track day :O

New brakes

After the last trackday the brakes were found lacking, so time for a thorough upgrade.
Pads came from George at https://www.roadtrackraceparts.com
Discs came from Ian at https://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
Both very helpful and knowledgeable places.

Front Discs: New Godspeed 330x28mm rotors with 6 groves and curved internal vanes. Fitting to the current Reyland bells I have, along with a new set of AP Racing disc bolts.
Front Pads: Ferodo DS1.11
Read Pads: Ferodo DS2500
Fluid: Just literally had new RBF660 – so will re-bleed after fitting the new stuff.

Snetterton Trackday [25-01-20]

First trackday since the rebuild over the last couple of years, fortunately (despite taking out a cone!) everything went well and the car performed flawlessly really! Tyres were knackered so probably stick a set of Cup2’s on soon now that the Yoko AD08R has been replaced with the RS compound, which is not getting great reviews. Also brakes were a bit shocking on the day, I put new RBF660 fluid and a new set of EBC Yellowstuff in – which I’ve run a couple of sets before – but they did nothing but moan and grumble all day.
Overall though a great success; drove there, tracked it, drove home, still working now! And amazingly despite the ITB’s – no noise issues! First of hopefully many this year at last 🙂