….and more brake updates!

So despite the last refresh of new pads and rotors, I was plagued with brake issues again at Castle Combe. Potentially pad deposits – but potentially the rotor and bell expanding at different rates too.

So the hopeful cure this time is brand new Brembo calipers from Renault, new floating bells – and with the change of rotors, pads and fluid last time, that’s basically an entierly new braking system now. So if it’s still a problem…then I’ll be buggered if I know what to try next? Maybe metallic based compound pads just in case it was/is deposits.

Whilst having the MOT completed at the same time as the brakes, both drop links were found to be knackered and the source of some clunking I’ve been experiencing, so with those replaced it’s time to hit the track again (thanks to Regal Autosport in Southampton for sorting the car out).

Currently I have Silverstone booked for both the Nov 12th and Dec 5th, and potentially I’m thinking of trying Goodwood on the 27th this month, although I’m not convinced by the sessions based format :\

I went black bells this time on the brakes, so that the floating hardware would stand out more. I miss the old Gold bells as I did like that look, but overall I think this looks better – certainly more purposeful.
(Excuse the filthy wheels – not been washed since Combe!)

Tyres, Brakes, Wheels Studs & Swivels! [Fitted]

New Michellin Cup Sport 2 tyres (215/45/17) fitted to the OEM 200 wheels, and thanks to Ktec for fitting the brakes (as per last post) and also replacing the lower swivel bearings too. Also supplying and fitting a set of their wheel studs, which I elected for due to thinking it would be good to replace the original 11 year old wheel bolts – but I was not expecting them to look so much better with a much more purposeful look to them.
The car’s now stopping and steering better than it ever has, and the DS1.11 give a very pleasing squeal that only track focused pads really give off!
It’s ready for a track day at Combe in a couple of weeks (6th July). – Hopefully it’ll go a darn sight better than the last Combe track day :O

New brakes

After the last trackday the brakes were found lacking, so time for a thorough upgrade.
Pads came from George at https://www.roadtrackraceparts.com
Discs came from Ian at https://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
Both very helpful and knowledgeable places.

Front Discs: New Godspeed 330x28mm rotors with 6 groves and curved internal vanes. Fitting to the current Reyland bells I have, along with a new set of AP Racing disc bolts.
Front Pads: Ferodo DS1.11
Read Pads: Ferodo DS2500
Fluid: Just literally had new RBF660 – so will re-bleed after fitting the new stuff.

330mm 2-piece front discs + Mtec rears

Finally got the new 330mm Reyland discs and Yellowstuff pads up front and Mtec black edition and Mintex pads at the rear all fitted. Prior to fitting I used some high temp paint around the edges of the discs and in the J-hook’s on the 330mm brakes. This will help stop the un-swept areas from becoming too unsightly looking over time.
The image with the black wheel is now showing the discs after they have been used, the pads have cleaned up the J-hook areas so that there is no paint left on the disc surface and are now looking much better for it. In hindsight I would send the front rotors off to be black zinc coated like the Mtec rears are, it was a lot of effort to key the J-hooks for the paint!

Also another great job from Paul at Tech 1 Performance who fitted it all for me. All calipers were cleaned and sliders etc freshly lubricated.

Reyland 330mm Reyland 330mm Reyland 330mm Mtec black edition Reyland 330mm

330mm 2-piece front discs

New set of Reyland 330mm 2-piece front discs to go on, along with a new set of Mtec rear discs finished in their black edition coating to stop the non pad surface areas from rusting. Plan to get the front rotors treated before fitting.

Reyland 330mm Reyland 330mm Mtec