Carbon heat shields

Built some carbon fibre heat shields recently to just add a little bit of a heat soak barrier to the filter. The rear is lined with DEI gold tape and also edge sealed against the bonnet, however the main air feed will come via a carbon Evo NACA duct – which will hopefully get fitted in the coming weeks.

New induction setup

To replace the ITG Maxogen I was previously using I managed to track down the Cup Racer induction hose (well 2 of them!). Using this induction hose should mean I have decent my inlet tract is of a correct size with a smooth transition around the bends. I couldn’t install the Cup Racer airbox without moving the battery so I found a Green cone filter (K4.80V) with a bigger surface area than the Cup Racer Green panel filter to attach on the end of the hose.

For now this is just a temporary fitting, although since these pictures I have installed a bracket to support the front of the filter properly. The final fitting will be done after a back to back test on the rolling road vs the OEM airbox (fitted with a K&N panel filter). If this new setup proves an advantage then I will be creating some carbon fibre heat shields with rubber edging seals installed which press against the bonnet, and therefore shielding the filter from the heat of the engine.

Induction Cup Racer hose Induction Induction

ITG Maxogen and Odyssey PC950

After the trail fitting I knew everything was pretty much going to fit, but I needed the skills of Paul at Tech 1 Performance to ensure the battery would be safe and secure. I also needed Paul to make a bracket to hold the ITG. History shows my previous brackets tend to look a little, well, ‘make shift’…

Great work again by Paul and it was no easy effort to get the battery mounted, despite considerable time spent trying to machine enough room we were just mm from getting the cage in the OEM tray. Paul made a great suggestion to machine a slot in one side of the tray by which to hook the cage into, thereby freeing up plenty of room to secure the other side down the usual nut and bolt route. It fits like a glove, is mounted on 12mm thick closed-cell anti-vibration foam and even positioned it’s self so perfectly that the ‘+’ and ‘-‘ negative terminals didn’t require any alteration or brackets to fit!

It’s not the smallest or lightest battery, but at 9kg I have still saved weight and will definitely not have any starting issues with it.
I have a funnel still to attach to the cold air duct and also some carbon fibre sheet and edging to make a battery lid, but the whole thing is fitting great. Sounding great? Well I couldn’t say, I can’t even remotely hear it above the current exhaust setup, but that’s no real surprise!

Odyssey PC950 Odyssey PC950 Odyssey PC950 ITG Maxogen ITG Maxogen

ITG Maxogen trial fitting

Trial fitting on the new induction setup. Using the AB65H airbox as used on the EP3 Civic Type R, this airbox according to ITG is able to flow 300bhp so should cause no issues on the Clio running up to about 230bhp.

Using this airbox has allowed me to retain the OE induction hose to the throttle body, most other implementations of the ITG kits I have seen use the RAB65 airbox attached to the throttle body via a 90deg bend. I wanted to avoid using a 90deg bend at all costs.

I have modified the battery surround too so that when the Odyssey PC950 battery arrived I will produce a carbon cover so everything looks neat and tidy.

Still need to fabricate a bracket to hold the ITG, but I will get Paul @ Tech 1 to make that for me. At the same time he can ensure the battery leads if they need to be extended or altered in anyway then it can be done properly.

ITG ITG ITG ITG ITG